GOLDEN GATE WOMEN'S SOCCER LEAGUE
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING
HELD ON FEBRUARY 1, 1999
At DREW COLLEGE PREPARATORY SCHOOL, S.F.
Ian Clarke, President, opened the meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Teams Present: Athena, Avanti, Berkeley Bruisers, Bitter Bruisers, Bittersluts, Bo and the Deelites, Brown Sugar, Celtic Ramblers, Crush, Daruma, Devil Mountain Madness, East Bay United, Follies, Hightides, Ireland's 32, Kismet United, Las Atrevidas, Las Brujas, Galsbreath Cramps, Las Diablitas, Mad Dog's Lasses, Mad Hatters, Marin Flash, Marin Marauders, Mill Valley Edge, MNA, Mudhens, Naomh Padraig I, Naomh Padraig II, Pat O'Shea's, Playland Sally's, Rip Tide, SF Rangers, SF Scots, Shamrock Rovers, Shedevils, Sirens, SSF Shooters, Talking Feet, Tasmanian Devils, Thornbirds, Turf Warriors, Wildcats.
Teams Absent: Berkeley FC, Crux, Renegades S.C., Superior Bodies.
The minutes from the January 11, 1999 Board of Directors' Meeting were approved without any corrections or changes.
Executive Committee Reports (tabled from the Jan. 11, 1999 meeting)
- First Vice President, Disciplinary matters
- Dorlee discussed the topics covered at the January 23, 1999 CSAN meeting.
- CSAN is reconsidering dual registration for non affiliated teams based on the USOC's current position encouraging more play.
- Dorlee discussed the disciplinary problems that plagued the league last season.
- She reitterated that too many red cards were issued last season as a result of violent conduct. She stressed that the team's coach should be aware of a player that is losing control, and take the player off the field to cool down.
- She mentioned that there is a need to track yellow cards and that currently there is no report available. She hopes to review this subject at the next meeting.
- Vice President of Tournaments
- Ilisa reviewed her first year as V. P. of Tournaments for the league.
- She gave her appreciation to everyone that participated in the league tournaments and said that she was proud of the hard work that people put forth.
- Going forward, she feels that more volunteers will be needed to help maintain the high standard the league has established in hosting tournaments.
- She welcomes any comments from the board. These comments can be praise, constructive criticism, suggestions on how to get more teams to participate in our tournaments, or whatever you feel she needs to know to better do her job.
- Season Procedures
- Scheduling, Fields and Referees
- Ian announced that the last game of fall '98 season was finally played and with it the fall '98 season ended.
- He went on to discuss the Spring/Summer '99 season procedures handout.
- He read item #7, Bye requests, and explained that each team was allowed 2 bye requests per season. He stated that the deadline for the spring /summer '99 bye requests was Sunday, February 14, 1999. He said that requests received after this time would be denied, and that he preferred that bye requests be sent via e-mail.
- He reminded everyone that the league only has two San Francisco fields reserved for the Spring/Summer '99 season.
- He said that he hoped to have the schedule completed by February 21, 1999.
- First Vice President
- Dorlee went over other CSAN topics.
- She said that CSAN is planning on making new passes, possibly computerized.
- She announced that there were upcoming select team tryouts, and if anyone is interested they should contact Jan Mullen (415) 753-0946.
- Vice President, League and Player Development
- Barbara discussed the upcoming New Player Clinic organized by the GGWSL. It is to be run by the Nighthawks, at Moscone field.
- She said that the Beginner's clinic is expecting 16 people on Tuesday (2/2) and 14 on Thursday (2/4). She found that there was more interest in the Intermediate clinic to be held the following week, with 29 scheduled for Tuesday (2/9) and 26 scheduled for Thursday (2/11).
- She reminded everyone that the costs of the clinics are $20.00 for 2 days, which is considered one complete session. Walk-ons are welcome to participate. No cleats are allowed at Moscone, turf shoes only.
- She said that the Goalkeeper's clinic will be done sometime in the spring and that she would keep the board posted.
- She discussed the issues around the over 40's division that she is trying to start. One of them being CSAN's lack of clarity regarding dual registration.
- She wants to create an Over 40's committee to help put her idea in motion.
- She feels that women are able to play longer now than ever before and she wants to establish a place for these women to play competitively.
- She reminded everyone to provide their practice location, day and time for the Practice List that she started last month.
- She asked that if any of the board 's teammates are interested in the intermediate clinic, to contact her at (415) 775-2482, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vice President Tournaments
- Ilisa handed out a packet of different advertisements, order forms and information. Included in this packet was a Real Sports subscription form, NCAA finals ticket order forms (at San Jose State Univ.), CSAN state cup application, a WWC volunteer sign-up sheet and a GGWSL 7-A-SIDE application.
- Ilisa thanked Ian for all of the work that he put into the league website. She commented that it looks very professional and that there is a wealth of useful information for people who are new to the league, as well as for members of the league. She encouraged everyone to check it out.
- She thanked everyone that ordered tickets for the Feb. 14th; US National team vs FIFA All stars game - there were enough tickets purchased for the league to receive discounted ticket prices.
- She announced that the US National team is looking for volunteers for the upcoming Feb. 14th game. Drivers, translators, and other positions need to be filled.
- She said that the 7-A-SIDE Committee (consisting of the following teams: SF Rangers, Las Brujas, Renegades, Wildcats, and Marin Flash) met for the first time.
- She added that the cost is of the 7-A-SIDE tournament is $115 per team and the deadline is March 16th, 1999.
- She announced that the league does not want to handle concessions at the tournament and encourages any girl's team to run the concessions as a fundraiser for their team. The league would help pay for the food up-front.
- Participation List (Volunteers)
- Ian handed out the most up to date participation/volunteer list for everyone's review.
- Teams were asked to confirm, decline or reassign their current volunteer positions.
- Many changes were made to the list. The updated volunteer list will be handed out at the March 1, 1999 meeting, as well as additional positions currently not on the list.
- New Business
- League secretary, Nancy McGovern, collected league fees for the spring/summer '99 season.
- Set Agenda and date for the March 1999 Meeting of the Board of Directors
- The next league meeting is Monday, March 1st, 1999 @ 7:00 p.m.
- The meeting location is Drew College Preparatory School, 2901 California Street (@ Broderick), S.F.
- There being no further business to come before the Board of Directors, a motion was made by Allie Fung and seconded, and the meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.