GOLDEN GATE WOMEN'S SOCCER LEAGUE
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING
HELD ON February 7, 2000
AT GERSCHWIN THEATRE, USF, S.F.
Ian Clarke, President, opened the meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Athena, Avanti, BC United, Berkeley Bruisers, Berkeley FC, Bitter Bruisers, Bittersluts, Bo and the Deelites, Brown Sugar, Celtic Ramblers, Cramps, Crush, Crux, Daruma's Divas, Devil Mountain, Dylan's Villains, East Bay United, Follies, Gay Dubliners, Hightides, Ireland's 32, Kismet United, Las Atrevidas, Las Brujas, Las Diablitas, Mad Hatters, Marin Flash, Marin Marauders, Mill Valley Edge, Mna, Mudhens, Naomh Padraig I, Naomh Padraig II, Pat O'Shea's, Rip Tide, SF Fuego, SF Rangers, SF Scots, Sirens, SSF Shooters, Rovers, Tasmanian Devils, Turf Warriors , Wildcats.
Teams Absent: Mad Dog's, Renegades SC, Superior Bodies, Talking Feet.
The minutes from the January 10, 2000 Board of Directors' Annual General Meeting were approved with the following changes: V. Election of Officers B, C & D read…won by acclimation. Should read… won by acclamation. IX. Set Agenda and date for the February 2000 Annual General Meeting should read: Set the Agenda and date for the February 2000 Board of Directors' Meeting.
- Scheduling, Fields and Referees
- Ian reminded everyone that the spring season bye requests deadline is February 14, 2000.
- He informed the board that so far the fields for the spring season are Hillside, S.S.F. High School, Indian Valley College, Hayward and (hopefully) three fields in San Francisco.
- He explained that he compiles all of the team comments from the white cards and asked the board what he should do with the information. After some discussion, Ian asked Allie to publish the team conduct information along with a red and yellow card recap for the fall '99 season.
- Ian asked the members of the board that are listed on the website as a new player contacts to check their forward link addresses because some of the existing ones do not work.
- First Vice President, Discipline
- Allie had nothing to report.
- Vice President, Tournaments
- Ilisa discussed the upcoming 11th Annual 7-a-side tournament
- She announced that this is a one day tournament held on date of Saturday, April 22, 2000 (Easter weekend). The cost of the tournament is $120.00 and the registration deadline is April 3, 2000. The tournament entry form will be posted online on the league website. She said that any questions or comments regarding the tournament should be directed to her via e-mail at email@example.com.
- She reminded the tournament committee that they would be meeting immediately after the board meeting.
- Vice President New Players
- Kelly G. discussed the dilemma facing new players looking for teams.
- She informed the board that a majority of new player calls are from beginners and that most teams in our league are not in need of these type players.
- She asked the board if there is a place for beginning players in our league and if not, was the board willing to make a place for them.
- One suggestion was that the league helps to organize a weekly pick-up game for new players. Another was that teams allow these new players to attend their practices in order to gain experience.
- It was suggested that maybe the league could refer these players to junior college and college beginning soccer courses.
- She stressed that she would like to see our league take on beginning players but she wasn't sure how to go about doing it.
- Member at Large, CSAN Representative
- Kelly L. said the February CSAN meeting was cancelled and therefore had nothing to report.
- Member at Large, League Affairs
- Allyson had nothing to report.
- Member at Large, Over 40's
- Barbara gave an over 40's update.
- She said that the over 40's finally resumed practice on Feb. 6 after some time off due to all of the rain.
- She said the over 40's committee was looking into advertising in newspapers but were still deciding on the most appropriate publications for which to advertise.
- She said that they are mostly attracting women who are absolutely new to the sport instead of the players that have played for years and then went into retirement.
- Ian announced the CSAN Women's Select Team Tournament takes place in the spring and that he will be providing more information (as he gets it).
- Ilisa offered to write up the information on select team tryouts and distribute it to those interested.
- Joan Heaton distributed individual team (player) questionnaires in order to help her complete her thesis project. She asked that everyone takes them back to their teams, fill them out and send them back to her by March 14, 2000.
- Committee Reports
- Participation List
- Other Committee Reports
- New Business
- Laura handed out a report on the league's current financial position.
- She commented that the league's financial position is strong because of the cash surplus (unlike in the past years).
- Laura collected spring dues and net set receipts.
- Ian discussed the possibility of there being no April 2000 Board meeting. He said that we'll discuss it at the end of the March 2000 Board Meeting.
- Ian reminded everyone that the blue and white forms could be obtained online at the league's website (ggwsl.com).
- Nancy (Secretary) handed out league liability forms for the upcoming season for those players who are new to the league and reminded everyone that technically they should not be playing unless their team's form is sent in.
- Set Agenda and date for the March 2000 Board of Directors' Meeting
- The next league meeting was set for Monday, March 6, 2000 @ 7:00 p.m.
- The meeting location is 2400 Turk, at Masonic, School of Education - Gerschwin Theater, room 110, S.F.
- There being no further business to come before the Board of Directors, a motion to adjourn was made by Allie Fung. The motion was seconded, and the meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.