GOLDEN GATE WOMEN'S SOCCER LEAGUE
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MEETING HELD ON MARCH 5, 2001
AT GERSCHWIN THEATER, USF, S.F.
Ian Clarke, President, opened the meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Adelante, Athena, BC United, Bittersluts, Bo and the Deelites, Brown Sugar, Celtic Ramblers, Cramps, Crush, Crux, DPC Hotties, Devil Mountain, Dylan's Villains, High Tides, Ireland's 32, Kismet United, Las Atrevidas, Las Brujas, Mad Dog's, Marin Flash, Marin Marauders, Mna, Mudhens, Pat O'Shea's, Rip Tide, SF Fuego, SF Rangers, SF Scots, Sirens, Talking Feet, Tasmanian Devils, United FC and Wildcats.
Teams Absent: Avanti, Avenue SC, Daruma's Divas, Deviled Eggs, East Bay United, Follies, Mad Hatters, Mill Valley Edge, Naomh Padraig, Reidy's Ringers, Renegades SC, Shamrock Rovers, SSF Shooters and Turf Warriors.
The minutes from the February 5, 2001 Board of Director's Meeting were accepted without any corrections or changes.
- President , Scheduling Fields and Referees - Ian Clarke
- Ian thanked Tara Zorovich and Katy Pope for getting the Treasure Island and Jefferson High School fields. He added that thanks to these two individuals, the league would not have to play games on Sunday!
- Ian announced that the Treasure Island and Jefferson H.S. fields needed lining every week. Katy Pope informed Ian that the High School would line the field weekly, and Ian said that Tara and the Pat O'Sheas were responsible for lining the Treasure Island field. He added that the league pays $35 per week for the city fields to be lined.
- Katy Pope drew a map for the location of the portable goals at Jefferson High School. She went on to explain the procedure for retrieving and setting up the goals, as well as breaking down and storing the goals. She said that she would send Ian an email (for distribution to the league) on the exact procedures, including a lock-box combination, for retrieving and putting away the portable goals at Jefferson H.S..
- Ian discussed the procedure for setting up the goals at Treasure Island. He said that the goals were not portable and that they needed to be brought out and put away each week. He added that the league was going to rent a port-o-potty for the Treasure Island field.
- Ian discussed a possible dilemma facing the sixth division: the Avenue SC team does not have enough players signed to field a team (7 signed at CSAN) and their coach wasn't sure if they would have enough players for this season. He had inquired about a possible refund for this season if he couldn't get enough players out. Ian asked the Board their thoughts on a fair refund policy. Discussion ensued and a motion was made by Mary Griggs to refund them $400.00 ($40/game not played, which is inline with the league's current game refund policy). The motion was seconded and passed by a unanimous vote.
- First Vice President, Discipline - Allie Fung
- Allie was absent.
- Ian reminded everyone to update the Contact Sheet.
- Vice President, New Players - Frank Lopez
- Frank said that the New Player phone calls were slowing down, one call in the last week, but teams should remember to request an update on the Website with current needs/information.
- Frank told the Marin Marauder's representative about a women (Jessica Crase (?)) looking for a team in Marin.
- Member at Large, CSAN Representative - Irma Rupport
- In Irma's absence, Ian discussed the following:
- He announced that CSAN was offering referee courses and he encouraged the league to get involved stating that "we always need more women referees".
- He added that CSAN offers a free "D" license coaching clinic for groups of twenty or more people in our league.
- He announced that CSAN extended the deadline for the Women's Open and Amateur Cup Tournament because they had not received any applications.
- He added that the CSAN State Cup applications were not available but the league Secretary would follow-up with CSAN.
- Member at Large, Over 40's - Barbara Elliott
- Barbara announced that the Over 40's would be moving in a different direction and that the players were going to sign-up through CSAN as a new team in the league. She added that this step would remove any liability issues the Forte's might face when scrimmaging teams in the league.
- Barbara was going to approach teams with byes on the three consecutive Saturdays prior to the Las Vegas Tournament (in early April), to see if they would be available to scrimmage the Forte team.
- Barbara commended Toby on his over 40's practices that accommodate to players in the Premier division as well as those who are complete beginners.
- She announced that her practices are still open to anyone interested and encouraged new people to come out but to check the Website for any change in practice venue.
- Mary Griggs thanked everyone on the board for turning in their dues and fines on time. She added that only two teams had outstanding fines to pay from last season, they were Brown Sugar and Kismet.
- Ian announced that NPI and NPII teams combined this season to make only one team. The Executive Committee placed the NP team in the second division.
- Chris Mankewich asked Ian for Doug Fielding's phone numbers because the original numbers she received were incorrect.
- Committee Reports
- Ian gave an overview of the league's current position with Lyric and the Human Rights Commission (HRC).
- He asked the board for help in gathering information for the following three questions: What is the medical definition of a woman (for transsexual women)? What is the legal definition of a woman (for transsexual women)? Does anyone know a Gay Games employee? Because the league had adopted the Gay Games policy for male/female definition in sports, and needs clarification on these policies.
- New Business
- Set Agenda and date for the April 2001 Meeting of the Board of Directors
- The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on Monday, April 5, 2001, at 7pm.
- The meeting location is 2400 Turk, at Masonic, USF School of Education - Gerschwin Theater, room 110, S.F.
- There being no further business to come before the Board of Directors, a motion to adjourn was made and seconded, and the meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.